Monday, February 21, 2011

Food crisis

For the last weeks and months, I've been following the increase of the food prices and I can tell you that I am concerned about it. Many people, experts thought that the next World War was going to be driven by the fossil fuels; however, as far I am seeing now, its seems that the next World War will be driven by the lack of fresh water and food.
I am particularly concerned about my people and my country, Cape Verde. The prices of the food have been increasing steadily and have pushed more 44 millions of people, world wide, below the poverty line. In my country, according to the CIA, 30% of the population is below the poverty line and the unemployment rate is 21%. Moreover, we import 82% of the food consumed in the country. Therefore, that makes me wonder how are my people going to handle this...
Famine and starvation have ravaged Cape Verde numerous times over the history. Nobody wants that to happen again. We are now a different country; however, we still relay on others... I would like to know how much can we stand it.
The saddest thing is that I been wondering if there is something I can do but I feel that my hands are tied :(

No comments:

Post a Comment